Top 8 Foods To Eat For Healthy Eyes
Eyes, the sensory organ responsible for sight, just like any other organ, needs to be well nourished to function at its optimal.
Improving your general health and following a balanced diet with good quality fruits, vegetables and fats does the job for most part.
There are some super foods that have proven to be extremely vital to maintaining the health of your eyes. These are:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale
- They contain the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin which prevent macular degeneration
- Age related macular degeneration leads to blindness in some patients
- It is rich in beta-carotene, a form of vitamin A, that gives fruits and vegetables the orange color
- Beta-carotene helps in the smooth functioning of the various parts of the eye, especially the retina
- Egg yolk is one of the richest sources of zeaxanthin and lutein
- It is also rich in fat which enhances the absorption of carotenoids
- Almonds are packed with Vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant
- Bell Peppers
- Bell peppers are packed with Vitamin which also prevents oxidative damage to the cells and hence prevents macular degeneration
- Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that play an important role in prevent of macular degeneration, risk of cataract and dry eyes
- Other fatty fish like tuna and trout are also good sources of omega-3
- Lean Meat & Poultry (beef, chicken and pork)
- Meat contains Zinc as well as vitamin A both of which are essential to maintain the health of the retina
- Vegetarian sources of zinc include beans, legumes, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds
- Vegetarian foods contain beta-carotene which the body converts to vitamin A. Foods rich in beta carotene are carrots, sweet potato, winter squash, kale and spinach
- A superfood that is rich in Vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, beta carotene and vitamin E
- Broccoli is an excellent antioxidant that helps protect the retina from oxidative damage
To maintain good eye health, leading a healthy and balanced lifestyle is essential. This would include adequate exercise, quality sleep and stress management. A balanced diet is essential not only for the maintain the health of your eyes but all other organs in your body!